Pitching Drills: Cover First Drill
3-1, 4-1 Cover First Base (Use a batter-runner)
1. To teach pitcher’s how to cover 1st base proper
2. To teach pitcher’s how to avoid, and not be distracted by the batter-runner
1. Fungo hitter hits various types of ground balls to 1st baseman, or 2nd baseman
2. Place a batter-runner about 25 feet up the baseline. Have the runner time his run to be right next to the pitcher - try to distract him.
Situations to cover:
1. Normal 3-1, 3-1 on bobbled ball
2. Slow roller 3-1, or 1-3
3. 4-1; or 4-3, pitcher back up throw
4. Add a runner on 2nd who attempts to score on 3-1 play. Pitcher must throw home.
Time: 6-8 minutes