Where to make the play in 5 defensive situations
How to cover first base correctly
- You need to cover first on all balls hit to the right or first-base side of the infield. Here are some tips to do help you do that more effectively.
- Sprint to the foul line, two-thirds of the way toward first base, and then run up the line on the inside of the foul line.
- Hold your glove up and catch the ball with one hand while stepping on the base with the right foot. If the throw isn’t there, hold the bag by dragging the right foot.
How to make a play at home on a comebacker
- Square up the shoulders before throwing home on a comebacker.
How to make a play at second base on a comebacker
- On bunts, square your shoulders to second base before you field the ball, and then stay low, take a quick step with the left, and throw to the bag, not the fielder, because the base is the one immobile constant.
- On comebackers, do a quick crow-hop to square-up, and again throw to the bag. If the fielder is not there, it’s not your fault. Do not hesitate, he will be there.
How to field a bunt with a man on first base
- Charge directly at the batter, and think aggressively about getting the lead runner. If not, reset your feet and throw to first.
How to field a bunt with men on first and second base
- Cover the right side (third base side). Break for the halfway point of the foul line between third and home.
- Call for the ball, and do a reverse pivot to throw to third without hesitation...
- Or reset your feet and throw to first.